Posts for: November, 2019
Heel pain is not something that you want to ignore. This simple problem could keep you from getting in your morning run or enjoying a good sweat session at the gym. Heel pain is one of the most common complaints our Houston foot and ankle doctors, Dr. Asia Lo, Dr. Samuel Mendicino, Dr. Manish Patel, and Dr. Dhvanil Thakor treat. Here are the top causes and signs it’s time to see a foot and ankle doctor.
If you are dealing with heel pain it could be caused by,
- Plantar fasciitis
- Achilles tendonitis
- Heel spur
- Osteomyelitis (a bone infection)
- Stress fracture
- Tarsal tunnel syndrome
The two most common causes of heel pain are plantar fasciitis (pain that occurs under the heel) and Achilles tendonitis (pain that occurs above and in the back the heel bone).
When to See a foot and ankle doctor
While you can sometimes treat heel pain on your own without turning to a professional you’ll want to see your foot and ankle doctor in Houston right away if,
- Your heel pain is severe
- You have trouble putting weight on the foot or have trouble walking
- There is severe swelling around the heel
- Your symptoms get worse
- Your heel pain is accompanied by numbness, tingling or fever
- Your heel pain occurred as a result of an injury
It’s also time to schedule a visit if you’ve been caring for your feet and your symptoms haven’t improved after a few weeks.
Treating Heel Pain
While heel pain often goes away on its own there are simple measures you can take to manage your symptoms until your foot fully heals. Home treatments include,
- Taking pain relievers like ibuprofen, which can temporarily alleviate pain and swelling
- Resting your feet and avoiding any high-impact activities such as running
- Elevating the heel when sitting to reduce swelling
- Wearing prescription orthotics to provide additional support for your feet
- Wearing properly fitted shoes that provide cushioning and support
If you are experiencing any new or worsening foot pain it’s important that you see a foot and ankle doctor who can tell you what’s going on. Call Dr. Asia Lo, Dr. Samuel Mendicino, Dr. Manish Patel, and Dr. Dhvanil Thakor at Foot & Ankle Institute in West Houston today.